TaSK Talented & Special Kidz

a support group for families who have children affected by an ASD and/or ADHD  

Scotland-wide Free Bus Travel

Scotland-wide free bus travel started on 1 April 2006 and allows your child to travel free on both local registered services and long distance bus services within Scotland.

To allow them to travel Scotland-wide, you will need to apply for a  National Entitlement Card which provides a standard branding helping bus drivers to recognise them easily. Over time the card may also allow them to access other local services provided by your Local Authority such as libraries and leisure.

They qualify for Scotland-Wide Free Bus Travel if they receive the higher or middle rate of the care component or the higher rate of the mobility component of DLA.

In addition your child will qualify for the companion entitlement if they receive the higher or middle rate of the care component of DLA.

Their companion can vary from journey providing they board and alight the bus at the same locations as them.

There is no need for your child to be accompanied on all bus journeys they make as they have the choice of whether to travel alone or have someone travel with them. Their companion must be over the age of 5 years.

You will need a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions (normally a DBD384) confirming that they receive this benefit and you should take this letter with you along with your completed application form.

The letter must be dated within the last 12 months and show your name, your address and details of your award including expiry date.

Application forms are available from local authorities, Post Offices and SPT Travel Centres, depending on where you live in Scotland. It may be best to contact your local authority or local concessionary travel scheme office for information on the application process in your area.

You will need to provide a recent passport-type colour photograph. When making an application you will also need to produce current documentary evidence of your childs disability along with proof of your current address.

Full details of acceptable documentary evidence can be found on the front page of the application forms. If you require clarification on any aspect of the application process, you should contact your local authority.

Further details can be found on the Transport Scotland website.

Cinema Exhibitors' Association Card

This is a national card that can be used to verify that the holder is entitled to one free ticket for a person accompanying them to the cinema.

If your child is in reciept of DLA you can apply for a card, there is a processing fee of £5.50 per card.

You can get further details and download an application form from the Cinema Exhibitors' Association Card Website.